counter
About Us
Catholic education in Tuscaloosa has been continuous since 1863. In that year, classes were held in rooms adjoining St. John the Baptist Church. The pastor who supported this endeavor was Father T.J.M. Murphy. In 1865, the first parochial school was built on the corner of the intersection of 12th Street and 25th Avenue.

In 1918, Fr. Thomas A. Lenahan's chief interest was the advancement of Catholic education and welfare work. He was responsible for the building of St. John's School directly across from the Church. St. John's school opened in 1920. In 1931, the Benedictine Sisters of Cullman took over. The elementary school remained at that location until 1962 when under the direction of Fr. J.J. Cassidy, the school moved to its present location at 601 James I. Harrison, Jr. Pkwy East. Archbishop Toolen dedicated the present elementary section on January 27, 1963.

The original school housed grades 1-8 in four classrooms and was staffed by the Benedictine Sisters of Cullman, Alabama. In 1969 under the direction of Sister Bernadette Sachs, O.S.B., four classrooms were added to the building. In 1979 under the direction of Fr. Michael White, additional classrooms, a gymnasium, and cafeteria were added. A kindergarten class was added that same year and the first Ninth grade class graduated.

In 1986, under the direction of Fr. John Fallon funds were secured to house a Preschool. The Preschool opened in 1987. Since then it has expanded to two classes of 3 year olds and two classes of 4 year olds. Students have access to the Elementary School library, gym and lunchroom for special events and occasions. New surveillance cameras and remote control doors have been added to advance the security for the students.

In 1994, under the leadership of Mrs. Ana MacCrone, principal, and Fr. John Fallon, pastor, Holy Spirit School was thriving with two classes of every grade and filled to capacity. A group of parents formed a committee to research the possibility of establishing a Catholic high school in Tuscaloosa.

In 1995, a new high school class was made available under the direction of Mr. Michael Burke, principal. In January of 1996, the building was dedicated by Rev. Bishop David Foley. The first graduation of Holy Spirit Catholic High School was held in May 1999.

Catholic education had remained a constant in Tuscaloosa and West Alabama. Many outstanding Catholic and non-Catholic students have been educated in our school. We have experienced much growth through the years, while maintaining a tradition of academic excellence. Holy Spirit Catholic School provides a family environment with a strong academic and spiritual foundation. We are proud to serve students 3 year olds through twelfth grade. They excel academically, in leadership skills, and in service to their civic and church communities. Holy Spirit Catholic School is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and is a proud member of the National Catholic Education Association and the Alabama High School Athletic Association.